Sunday, July 26, 2009

Temple Celebration

I did not know what we were going to do, because the lady did not ask how many girls we had, she just assumed that because we had 300 spots on stage her stake would get 150 and ours would get 150. Which meant that there would be 75 girls and 75 boys in her mind. So she only ordered the fabric for 75 dresses. This was not cool because we had 104 girls and only 63 boys. I prayed that we would be able to get them all cut out. By the end of the night we had cut out all of the dresses that we had measurements for, which was all of the girls. I could not believe it. It was truly the feeding thousands. We even had some left over. We had also had sewing machines there and ladies ready to start sewing so as soon as we had one dress cut out they got started.

One of the ladies brought her 10 year old daughter, we were pleased that so many people showed up to help. We completed several dresses that night and by the end of the night all the ladies that were there took all of the dresses home to sew up. Darlene Backus of my ward too all of the purple which was about 15 to sew. She did not have a serger so she sewed them together and then I serged the edges and did all the rolled hems. The same for Linda who took all the pinks. Wendy Metz took the green and she was going to sew them together and then let Emily Murphy serge them, and then she would to do the hems. Ulena Lafort took all the blue and she had a serger so she sewed, serged, sewed and even did the fringe. I had nothing left to do that night it was truly amazing how everyone was so willing to help. I received the pink, and purple back soon so I was able to get them serged and ready to go. One of the hurdles that we had to overcome was the fringe. In the dance they were supposed to have black light so we needed the fringe, gloves and beads white. The fringe that was ordered by the other stake again was not white but off white. The package said 'Opal White' which says to me off white. Well Kim had been in the hospital all day getting a very grueling blood test done and was not feeling well. I went to pick of the fringe from the other stake and took it right over to her. She was very upset because we really wanted to make a good impression by having the fringe really pop. We discussed trying to get the right color and or seeing if the off white would glow under a black light. So I had Don stop and get a black light and we tried it out. It was not very good at all and quite disappointing. So I contacted Kim and she decided to go with white. This means that we would have to return the off white and order new rolls. I contacted the other stake and she was adamant that they were going to use the fringe and then would not give me the contact information. I looked on the box because quite often the shipping information has phone numbers. I was able to get the name and number of the company and called them. She did have the bright white but would have to order it from Mexico. This would take about 10-14 days to get to her in Connecticut and then another 5 to get to me. That would put it at my house on the 18th of May giving me 9 days to get three rows of fringe on 94 dresses. I told Kim it could be done, and made her just decide. She decided to go ahead with it. We would of had to order more anyway because again she only ordered enough for 75 dresses and only two rows of fringe. It took another day to get the payment options worked out and when I called the company back to order, she told me she had good news. that the factory had shipped it and sent it air mail and that she would have it tomorrow. I sat down and cried I was so relieved that I would have more time. The best part was that the company sent it no extra charge for the air shipping and she would ship it priority mail and only charge me ground. I had the fringe it 4 days. It was amazing. There is no way that the factory would ship it air mail just because and then not charge for it. I felt very blessed. I was able to get all the fringe on the dresses with time to enjoy the process as well.

The dresses turned out well, and the head bands and the boys costumes were great. We ran into trouble there as well. The other stake was determined to have the boys in white pants and sweater vests. This was not going to work because we could not come up with white pants or sweater vests. The other stake had contacted the temples in the valley and were able to come up with some of the pants. We then had to come up with something for the boys to wear. Kim wanted to have them in arm bands and ties, and I offered to make tuxedo vests. After a great deal of negotiation and frustration the other stake offered to give us white pants that they had acquired and we would split it, some of the boys in white pants and the rest in black. The boys that wore white pants would wear vests and the boys in black would wear arm bands.

I had to use the rest of the fabric to make vests and arm bands. At first I was going to make the arm bands out of the extra fabric and then Kim and I decided that we loved the trim for the head bands for the center of the arm bands. That way it would give the boys some 'bling'. The problem is that there was not enough sequins ordered and I did not understand that they wanted one arm band per arm or two per boy. This put a huge damper on things because I did not have enough materials. I had to then start shopping the stores and haggling prices with 40% off coupons to stay under budget. We then agreed that we would make some for the other stake in trade for the black pants. I ended up making 68 sets of arm bands and 20 vests.

No comments:

Post a Comment